Monday, August 7, 2017

Week 2 in HK :)

Leihdeih hou!
It's been a good week! I'm feeling a little more adjusted this week, and I'm coming to really truly love it here. Missions are great. :)
We had the opportunity to teach so many cool people this week and I feel so much love for them all! One of the people we taught is a sweet lady named May. May doesn't speak Chinese, so we actually taught her lesson in English, which was so weird because I'm so used to teaching only in Cantonese, but it was a really special experience (and it was admittedly also nice to be able to contribute to the lesson more than usual, haha). I love each of our investigators so much and I love seeing their lives change! Missions are THE BEST.
We also had lots of fun exchanges this week! Sister Christensen (my tuhngbuhn) and Sister Lee (who we live with) are the Sister Training Leaders for our zone, so when they have meetings, Sister Mak (Sister Lee's tuhngbuhn) and I get to work together! Two baby missionaries in big old Hong Kong, no big deal. ;) It actually went really well each time. The first time, our trainers had us go street finding (which we don't typically do very much because it isn't very effective here in Hong Kong, but there wasn't much else we could do without getting hopelessly lost), and I learned a few things: 1. Finding is actually super fun, 2. Take a native with you. They're an actual blessing, and 3. If you go finding by the river, WEAR BUG SPRAY or you will suffer. So many bug bites. Super fun though. :)
I also went on exchanges with Sister Lee this week, and we taught a few cool lessons, attended and helped with English class, and treated ourselves to McDonald's (side note: McDonald's here is WAY cooler than in America, what's up with that?). Sister Lee is SO SWEET and I loved it all. :)
Something else I've really noticed this week is how much people listen with their eyes. I of course knew that that was a thing already--that's why when we perform in orchestra concerts we wear concert dress (all black), because if we look more unified then we sound more unified. One of the funny ways this has been made more apparent to me here in Hong Kong is when I talk to people on the train or the street. They'll look at me, and since I'm [obviously very] white, some people will be just CONVINCED that I'm speaking English, even if I'm speaking perfect Cantonese (which obviously I'm not, but my trainer pretty much is), and they'll try to explain to me that they don't speak English. Even though I'm speaking Chinese. So funny. :) That got me thinking though. How often do we hear with our eyes and let preconceived notions based off of what we see affect how we interpret what we hear? I know I'm guilty of it sometimes, and I want to personally be better at hearling with my ears (and even better, with my heart) instead of with my eyes. Does that make sense? Obviously Christ is the perfect example of this, so I think I'll spend some time studying that this week and see what I can learn. :)
Other exciting things from this week:
1. The language is (suprisingly) getting better already! The Gift of Tongues is SO REAL. I still can't understand a lot of what the natives are saying to me, but I'm starting to be able to pick up on a lot more words than before. Making progress. :)
2. We're (probably) getting NEW TAGS (again)! I feel like every other email I send involves us getting new tags, hahaha. We're all excited every single time though. The church stopped making our half Chinese half English tags about a year ago, so the mission started making their own tags here in Hong Kong (which is why they don't have the official church logo) because we NEED both languages on there, and those are the tags we got. However, we found out this week that the church will start producing the official ones for us again, so we'll have OFFICIAL tags with the OFFICIAL logo and we're STOKED.
3. This week Mak Jímuih tried to kill me with some spicy Korean death ramer. If Mak Jímuih ever innocently offers you some ramen, just say no. It hurts. Or say yes, because it actually tasted pretty good through the pain. Your choice. ;)
Hong Kong is amazing, the people are so nice, the language is coming, and life is so good!
Love you all so much! Gayauh!
Gwok Jímuih (Sister Wasden)
郭姊妹

Pictures:
1. Us with Lau Jímuih, one of our cute investigators, and her mother-in-law and adorable baby (I've definitely won the baby's love, thank you very much).





2. The view from my study room window featuring pretty clouds.

3. One of the many views from the gorgeous park that we exercise in. :)


4. Mak Jímuih and I are pros at accidentally matching.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Gwok Jímuih,
    This has been one of your more profound postings. I get the perception thing with the eyes; your application to concert dress was interesting. Extrapolating the comparison further, the uniforms of military and civilian officials would also apply. I have apparently had a misconception dispelled with your posting when you spoke of "street finding." I thought it was forbidden to "proselyte" in this country. (Unless "street finding" means something different.)

    Success to you, your companions, and mission. I still remember some of your Patriarchal Blessing and so I include your Mission Presidents' in my thoughts and prayers. In the words of Elder John Groberg, "Hurrah for Israel! Hurrah for Israel! Hurrah for Israel!" [The Other Side of Heaven]

    I love you more! Gramps

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Riga, Latvia, we were on the street shopping or touring as per usual. A man approached Marilyn with something to sell. she immediately responded with, "I only speak English." The man looked puzzled and said, "I was speaking English." In the moment, she was not focused on what he was saying, but her inability to understand Latvian. We really enjoyed your comment on listening with your eyes.
    One of the benefits of being so far North was the lack of bugs except for a few months in the summer. Keep the bug spray close!
    Love, Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news: At the start of your third week, you still have 97% of all the great activities, feelings and experiences in Hing Kong left. Lots of time to love all the people!

    ReplyDelete