Sunday, August 27, 2017

TYPHOONS ARE CRAZY

Leihdeih hou!!
This week has flown by and I can't believe it's already p-day again! We've had a super super busy week here in Tai Wai. Here are some highlights (buckle up everyone):
Last Monday, a group of members from our ward took us out to the classiest buffet I've ever seen and I was in heaven. It was amazing. Cake, brownies, mashed potatoes, ICE CREAM, CHOI (legit my most favorite vegetable in the whole world. Last week I once ate only choi for dinner and I loved it) and so many other wonderful foods. Blessed. Sister Christensen and I also played badminton with Sister Lee again and it was so fun! So grateful for our cute members. :)
On Wednesday we had a TYHPOON! It hit a Level 8 in the morning, which means everything shuts down and the missionaries have to stay in our apartments all day until it drops back down to a Level 3. We did lots of call finding and lots and lots of cleaning! By the afternoon, it hit a Level 10, and Bishop said that it's the first Level 10 typhoon in Hong Kong since 1962! Also the weather reports were calling it a Level 10 hurricane? I don't actually remember the exact distiction between a typhoon and a hurricane (I think maybe just wind speed?), so if anyone who has access to Goodle wants to send that nugget of information my way, I'd be much obliged. :) It's been crazy to see all the fallen/broken trees everywhere (including one RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR WINDOW! We were sitting by our window almost all day and I didn't even see it happen, not that I'm upset about that or anything. ;)) If Bio 1620 taught me anything, it's that trees have to work really really hard to grow, so I was so sad for them. We're all safe though, so no worries!
Thursday was my 1-month mark in Hong Kong and my 3-month mark on my mission! It's gone so fast already, I can hardly even believe it. Bishop and his family also chinged us out to a Thai restaurant and it was SO GOOD. SO. GOOD. Oh, and Sister Christensen and I also got battery fluid on our hands that day, and that was an adventure. :)
On Saturday I found a REAL DONUT. Let me repeat that. A. REAL. DONUT. Chocolate glaze and everything. You'd better believe I bought that donut and I enjoyed every single bite. We also had our usual English class on Saturday, and then after that, we had our first Korean class (taught by Sister Lee)! If I go slowly and I have my chart, I can now read Korean (although obviously I can't understand what I'm saying), so that's pretty sweet. :)
Yesterday we had... Another Level 8 typhoon! Which is a bummer because we were going to have a lot of really cool investigators at church, and then church was cancelled. Next week. :) We still managed to make it a really productive day even though we were stuck in the apartment again and there was nothing left to clean. Also, I LOVE storms so it was super fun to watch all the rain all day. So cool. :)
Overall it's been a really good week! The Canto is still sometimes really frustrating for me, but I'm making a lot of progress and learning to be more confident in myself and in the Gift of Tongues and it's getting there. We've taught so many cool people and it's been really cool to see the gospel help them and to be able to see the Savior's love change them, and that alone makes all the hard days completely worth it.
Life is good! Thanks everyone for all the love! Love you all!
Gwok Jimuih (Sister Wasden)
郭姊妹




1 comment:

  1. Hi Gwok Jimuih, thank you for your informative blogs. From what I am able to learn from my Physics 101 class on Meteorology many years ago, there are no differences between hurricanes, and typhoons. They are the same weather phenomena just with different names depending on what part of the world you are in. I am no authority--knowing just enough to get me into trouble.

    Make it a great day--I love you more! Gramps

    ReplyDelete