Sunday, November 5, 2017

The Week :)

Leihdeih hou! It's been a crazy fast week! I can't believe it's already November! Not a whole lot of time this week, so here's a couple highlights: 1. This past week we had a big meeting with Elder Evans, who is in the Asia Area Presidency. It was a super super cool meeting, and he answered a ton of my questions that I'd been studying and praying about. It was also really cool to hear him talk to us about missionary work, because he actually lives in Hong Kong and spends all day going over numbers for the missions in our area, and he also served as a mission president in Japan, so he knows what missionary work is like in Asia and he knows what our particular challenges are and he was able to address those specifically, which was awesome. He talked a lot about different ways to get referrals and about how missionary work is all about completing families, which I loved. He also talked a lot about the "if you will, you may" principle. If you will be obedient, then you may have the promised blessings. If you will really dedicate yourself to obtaining the Gift of Tongues and learning your mission language, then you may speak Cantonese (or your assigned language, whatever that may be) at a higher level. If you will ask for referrals, then you may have a lot of people to teach. If you will, you may. So cool and so applicable to real life too, not just missionary work. :) 2. We had a really cool miracle this week, and two of our investigators that we've been working with have finally accepted baptismal dates for the end of this month! One of them is a 9 year old, and her little brother (who's 8) will also be getting baptized then, so we'll have THREE baptisms in one day! We're so excited and so happy for each of them! We've been working really really hard, and it's so good to see the blessings coming in. God is real. :) 3. I found some American money in my bags the other day and it looked and felt so weird to me, so that's cool.​​ Life is good! Missionary work is hard, but there are so many blessings. God is looking out for each of you. Don't forget that if you will, you may. :) Love you all! Sister Wasden 郭姊妹 Pic: Sister Christensen and I, featuring the temple in the background :)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister 郭姊妹, you have been well-taught by Elder Evans. He has expounded on the old maxim, "Where there is a will, there is a way" or, "If you will, you may." I think that often we short-change ourselves in not really knowing what we are capable of doing. Real success is often achieved when we are at our lowest, deciding whether to give up or, go down fighting. I love the attitude of the passengers of UAL flight #93, when they decided to stand up to the hijackers on 9-11, and Todd Beamer led the charge with the words, "Okay, let's roll!" I remember once playing a football game against a conference foe, on their field in Greybull, Wyoming. The game was "Homecoming" for them and they were beating us so badly that with nearly every play, someone got injured and had to be removed from the game. Maybe that was the reason I got to play because there was none left on the bench! I still remember the play our quarterback called in the huddle; it was--"On three, come up swinging!" Okay, it is not the best example of sportsmanship however, we did not give up just because we were getting badly beaten. I'm not quite sure how this applies to Missionary work nor how it is an uplifting and motivational story to share. Perhaps, I should close so as not to vex The Spirit. I do want you to know that I remember you, your companions, and Mission leaders in my thoughts and prayers. I was invited to dinner with my Bishop's family Sunday. The eldest daughter, age 12, has been studying Chinese for six years; her younger sister, age 9, has been studying Chinese for two years. Their mother is from Korea; their father is Caucasian, a West Point graduate who speaks Farsi, having lived in the Holy Lands and Cairo for several years. They are a unique and wonderful family. I don't know if the children speak Mandarin or Cantonese but when you come for a visit, we will have to get together.

    I will close for now with our famous saying, "I love you more!"

    Gramps

    ReplyDelete