Sunday, March 4, 2018

Summer is Coming

Busy is good. Some brief highlights from the week for your entertainment:
1. We went finding a ton! Which is hard, but we're all getting a lot better at it, which makes it a lot more fun. One high school girl told me she thought I was 35, which did great things for me. We also ran into a group of Mainlanders, and as usual, as soon as we started speaking Cantonese to them, they all busted out their phones and started taking pictures and videos with us. Me, being a good little missionary, made sure the Book of Mormon that was in my hands was clearly prominent in every picture they had with me. Maybe you'll see some of those pictures floating around the internet or something. If you do, send them my way. ;)
2. We had lots of meals with members in Sha Tin this week (and a few in Tai Wai), and I have never eaten so much with members in my life. I love it though, and I love getting to know all the cute people in Sha Tin! I haven't had to get to know a new ward since I first came to the Tai Wai ward as a baby missionary, so it's been really fun to do it again, except this time I can actually talk to people and don't want to cry every time someone speaks in Chinese to me. It's great. :)
3. To make our week even more interesting, we went on splits with the Mandarin sisters this week! The Mandos cover seven wards, so sometimes when they have investigators going to different wards, they have to split up. It was so fun though, and I love love love hearing people speak Mandarin. It sounds way more like I expected Chinese to sound than Cantonese ever did, so that's really fun. Sister Anderson (the Mando) and I even managed to have a successful conversation on the train, half in Mandarin and half in Cantonese, even though neither of us can speak the other language. So cool! Our poor wards were so confused though--last week was our first week as a trio, and it took SO MUCH EXPLAINING to clear up all the confusion of how there's now three sisters covering two wards, so showing up one week later with a fourth sister who now only speaks Mandarin about broke their minds.
4. This week we found out the President Nelson and Elder Holland will be visiting Hong Kong this April and we couldn't be more excited!!
5. Also, the humidity is creeping back into our lives. We're starting to feel really sticky 24/7 again. If you leave anything cold out, it's immediately dripping wet on the outside. Summer is approaching. Most of all, it just SMELLS humid. It smells like Hong Kong again. It's throwing me back to my baby missionary days a lot, actually. I got here literally one week before the worst part of the Hong Kong summer, and Sister Kimball arrived soon after, so we've been enjoying telling Sister Risenmay (who got here in the wintertime) horror stories about heat and humidity. Not going to lie, I don't think I'm quite ready to let the nice cool weather go yet, but at least in a few weeks we'll be allowed to have air conditioning again! All part of the fun. :)
That's pretty much it this week! We've had a lot of really cool lessons and experiences about the temple this week, so here's a friendly reminder: the temple is really special and really really important and actually kind of the coolest thing. Don't you ever take it for granted.
Love you all so so so much! Thanks for all the love! Enjoy your nice dry, cool air for me.
Gayauh!
Sister Wasden
郭姊妹

Pics:
I'd like to apologize, I've been living so close to this gorgous river for 7 months and haven't really sent that many pictures of it home, so here's a few. The really really bright light in the background of the dark picture is the horseracing track, which they used in the 2008 Olympics. :)
Trio goals: the fat ballerinas in the Choi Hung subway station



No comments:

Post a Comment